Friday, January 04, 2008

A NEW YEAR – A NEW LEAF!

By Marion Kelley Bullock

I feel a little like our antique Sessions mantle clock that sits atop our piano. It runs valiantly for a while, keeping us aware of passing time. Then one day I look up and see that it’s stopped. Still, as my husband points out, it continues to be correct twice a day. Of course, that’s not good enough for a clock. In order to be a contributing factor in our home, it needs to display the correct time all the time.

Sometimes, I feel run down. I’ve lost my fizz and sparkle. My writing has lost its pizzazz. Those 1500 words I wrote aren’t nearly as clever as I’d hoped. My novel rewrite has not found a home. All my characters, be they people, cats, dogs, or pigs, are running about madly in my crowded mind. They demand to do their own thing. I grab my whip to tame them into submission, to change them into the charming characters I’d planned for them to be. But they’re elusive; they escape me and go their own way, laughing, meowing, barking, oinking to their hearts’ content.

“I must have order in my office,” I say. “I demand that each character crawl back into the file from whence he came. Immediately!”

After the clamor of their obedient retreat, silence reigns, and with it a kind of peace. I know where they are. I can call them back as I need them. Now, back to my writing. Let’s try another 1500 words. But this time, let them sing…

2 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Wow! What a great synopsis of the inner workings of a writer's brain.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Marion, your words are amazing and paint such a wonderful picture in my mind.

I would love to get to know you better, we share many things in common. And it seems the Lord keeps bringing writers in my life to inspire me and to get me to reach beyond my self-imposed limitations and just WRITE.

May I please link you to my blogspot? And so you know, I'm very understanding if you say no. But I have been blessed today by your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home