Wednesday, October 10, 2007

GOOD OLE’ WEST TEXAS

By Marion Kelley Bullock

I just read my critique partner’s blog comments about summer being over, shrouding the patio furniture, and storing the fountain in the basement. She mentioned not being able to sit in the back yard and sip iced tea or drink morning coffee while listening to birdsong.

But that’s Colorado. West Texas weather has changed only to the point that it’s not too hot to enjoy the outdoors. Some days, we still drink tea in our backyard under the spreading pecan tree. Other times, we take our morning coffee out to the patio and listen to the doves coo. Our patio furniture, being of the webbed, folding kind, doesn't need to be shrouded. If it disappears during one of our famous windstorms, we can probably find it down the block in a neighbor’s yard. Or not. We have no fountain, which is a good thing, since we have no basement to store it in.

My hubby and I picnicked at the lake today. After we ate, we stared out across the vast expanse of water, storing up the tranquility for other days when the weather is not so pleasant. Because our skies are not always blue and serene. Our trees are not always ruffled by a light breeze. Our weather is not always mild.

But right now it is. We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy being outside. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

2 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Your piece of the world sounds lovely, Marion.

I hope I didn't mislead when I whined about putting my patio furniture away. While it's true we store our summer stuff for the winter, we also enjoy unseasonable warm and wonderful days throughout the autumn and winter.

Check out my latest blog post to see how I enjoyed such a lovely, warm day today.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Ok, what part of West Texas are you talking about? I was born in Levelland, Texas! I am a Texas girl born and raised. But God decided to move our cheese & moved us to Memphis in October of 2006.

But I will always be a Texas girl and miss the sound of coyotes off in the distance as I sip a cold glass of sun tea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home