Thursday, December 10, 2009

In spite of the fact that our house is falling apart at the seams…

I'm grateful...

Our heating and A/C unit had threatened for several years to expire. In July, when it was extremely hot, the unit went out and we were forced to have another one installed. In August (right after that) a heat wave swept across west Texas and we realized how fortunate we were to have a good-working unit.

I'm grateful…

The master bathroom flooded. I noticed it in the night when I waded in there barefoot. The hot water line to the lavatory couldn't be repaired until the next day. We didn't suffer any ill effects. Not even the cat, who can't swim. She simply avoided the area after her feet got wet.

I'm grateful…

The bathroom heater took a hike. I've been known to complain that these new electric heaters just don't heat up a bathroom like the old gas ones did. But try taking a shower with no heater at all. It wasn't pleasant, but it was quick. When the new heater comes, I'll remember not to complain. I'll appreciate whatever heat it offers.

I'm grateful…

Our refrigerator, several years old, heaves a heartfelt groan occasionally, like some huge animal giving birth. But it continues to do what we bought it for; keeps our food at 40*. We'll wait a little longer.

I'm grateful…

The microwave heats food—usually. Sometimes it needs to be given a second chance. No problem. No reason for me to go out and buy another one until this one conks out.

I'm grateful…

Sunday afternoon, we heard a loud pop and then gushing water. What we thought was thick smoke poured from the hallway along with tons of water. On investigation, we discovered that the "smoke" was steam. The water heater wouldn't stop boiling the water. The pop-off valve did what it was designed to do. It relieved the pressure. We gave thanks that our house didn't catch fire!

It is now Thursday, and a plumber is installing a new water heater. No more sponge baths in the lavatory. No more heating water in the teakettle to wash dishes. By sometime this afternoon, we hope to have HOT WATER! I'm grateful!

1 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Wow. It's been exciting around your house.

A prisoner of hope,
Megan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home