Wednesday, May 31, 2006

PROCRASTINATING

By Marion Kelley Bullock

Yes, this is writing related. I promise. I have known for some time that I'm vertically challenged. The other morning, I had to face the sad fact that I'm also cooking challenged. I don't mean because I can't reach anything in my kitchen. I mean that my mind is so fogged up with my characters plotting behind my back, before I even get a chance to sit down at the keyboard, that I can't think straight.

I wanted to try this new recipe for Orange-Cinnamon French Toast. I melted the butter and added honey and cinnamon. Then I added two eggs and whipped them. I spread the mix in a square Pyrex and placed four slices of toast in it. They looked dry, so I turned them over.

As I placed the dish in the oven to bake, I noticed the one-half cup of orange juice still sitting on the counter. It should have been added to the mix, so it would actually be Orange-Cinnamon. Uh-oh. Another glance at the recipe and I realized I was supposed to dip the bread in the egg and orange juice and place in the prepared pan. When I told my dh of my lapse, he said, "Now we won't know whether we like that recipe or not." He kindly ate the toast, slathered with maple syrup.

This is where the procrastinating comes in. The word is defined as postponing what one should be doing. As I write these words, I’m aware that an incomplete novel lies in a file on my computer, waiting patiently while I delay needlessly. So I sit up straighter, raise my chin, and determine to stop dilly-dallying. I’ve got to get to work. Now.

“Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might...” Ecclesiastes 9:10.

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Megan DiMaria said...

Preach on, Sister!

:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home