Monday, September 19, 2005

IT'S ALL GOOD!

by Marion Kelley Bullock

I just returned from the ACFW conference in Nashville. It was awesome. Renewing friendships, making new friends, laughing, crying, making memories that last a lifetime. That's what it's all about.

But there's so much more. There's the chance to learn, the opportunity to improve your writing as well as the encouragement to think of our journey as just that, not simply a struggle to get published. Of course, that's what we all want - to be published. But it's got to be God's will and in His divine time.

I particularly enjoyed Deb Raney's intermediate class. Being the poorest note-taker in the universe, I appreciated the concise handouts more than I can say. With her help, how could I help but improve my craft.

I benefitted from Kris Billerbeck's "Writing your passion," from Colleen's class and the info she shared with me personally. Karen Ball's keynote messages wrapped up our experience with a tub-full (make that a hot tub-full) of laughter and wisdom.

Kim Sawyer's testimony touched my heart, as did the precious note written by her daughter, Kristian, telling why Kim deserved a prize.

Brandilyn frightened me, with her froggy face and Bloody Bart. She caused me a terrifying nightmare. Friday, in the middle of the night, I awoke feeling the dead weight of a hand across me. My first thought was that it was my husband's. No, I wasn't at home. Perhaps it was my roommate's hand. But wait! She was in the other bed. I panicked. There was no way I could force a scream through my rigid throat. I pulled my left hand from under the cover, reached out and grabbed the ice-cold appendage that trapped me. It felt alien, lifeless, unattached . . . Bloody Bart! Maybe I did scream. I'll never know. My roommate wore earplugs. But something woke me and I felt the hand come back to life. My breathing slowed and I pulled the cover back over my cold arm.

As Karen Ball said, "It's all good."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home